Paris – Musée du Louvre: Vénus et Cupidon
Image by wallyg
This 1.74-meter marble statue of Vénus et Cupidon (Venus and Cupid) dates to the first or second century AD. Acquired from Rome in 1630, it once stood in a niche entry of the side yard of château de Richelieu. Only the main body is antique, and the rest is the result of restorations performed in the early 17th century, believed to be by d’Alessandro L’Algard.
This statue is part of the Collection Richelieu. Cardinal Richelieu (1585 – 1642) held the largest collection of French antiques of the first half of the seventeenth century. The statues were seized during the Revolution and entered the Louvre in 1801.