NYC – Metropolitan Museum of Art – Martin Johnson Heade’s Approaching Thunder Storm
Image by wallyg
Approaching Thunder Storm
Martin Johnson Heade (1819-1904)
Oil on canvas; 48 x 39 7/8 in. (121.9 x 101.3 cm)
Approaching Thunderstorm is one of the earliest of a small series of coastal storm subjects that are among Heade’s most ambitious and original works. Of those, this is the only one known to have been based on the observation of a particular meteorological event in a particular place: Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island, looking toward Rocky Neck from Prudence Island. Heade worked on the periphery of the Hudson River School, focusing on prosaic marshlands and coastal settings.
Bequest of Maria DeWitt Jesup, from the collection of her husband, Morris K. Jesup, 1914 (15.30.62)
The Metropolitan Museum of Art‘s permanent collection contains more than two million works of art from around the world. It opened its doors on February 20, 1872, housed in a building located at 681 Fifth Avenue in New York City. Under their guidance of John Taylor Johnston and George Palmer Putnam, the Met’s holdings, initially consisting of a Roman stone sarcophagus and 174 mostly European paintings, quickly outgrew the available space. In 1873, occasioned by the Met’s purchase of the Cesnola Collection of Cypriot antiquities, the museum decamped from Fifth Avenue and took up residence at the Douglas Mansion on West 14th Street. However, these new accommodations were temporary; after negotiations with the city of New York, the Met acquired land on the east side of Central Park, where it built its permanent home, a red-brick Gothic Revival stone "mausoleum" designed by American architects Calvert Vaux and Jacob Wrey Mold. As of 2006, the Met measures almost a quarter mile long and occupies more than two million square feet, more than 20 times the size of the original 1880 building.
In 2007, the Metropolitan Museum of Art was ranked #17 on the AIA 150 America’s Favorite Architecture list.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1967. The interior was designated in 1977.
National Historic Register #86003556